Monday, September 12, 2011

I couldn't do this yesterday

I know that everyone was posting about the 10th anniversary of the September 11th attacks yesterday, and I thought about it, but I KNEW in my heart, I couldn't do it.  I just couldn't.  You see, 10 years ago, I was living in Ohio, along with my then fiance, now husband.  My younger brother, who is just 18 months younger than me, had decided to move to NYC in August, 2001.  He and a friend had gone out to New York City, found an apartment in Jersey, had gotten some interviews set up, etc.  They came back home, and were waiting for the apartment to be ready.  It was supposed to be ready 9/1.  Then 9/5.  Then 9/10.  See where I'm going with this?  By the time they got to the 10th, the landlord had PROMISED, it's going to be move in ready and they felt comfortable starting to make interviews.  He had gotten an interview at a company that was involved with the stock market somehow.  It was set for 9am on Sept. 11, at the World Trade Center.  A few days before 9/10, the boys had called the landlord, is the apartment ready?  It wasn't, so all interviews were canceled.  Including the one at the WTC.  Obviously we all know what happened 9/11.  And the company that wanted to interview him ended up losing several employees, and they never hired/interviewed my brother after that. And 10 days later, my brother and his friend rented a u-haul and moved to NYC anyway.


I spent the day yesterday watching all the shows, remembering just being so grateful and relieved that nothing happened to my family, and that the fire inspector in Jersey hadn't gotten his poop in a group and signed off on the building.   My brother now proudly wears at tattoo on his arm, signifying that time, it's roman numerals IX- 9/11. 


No comments:

Post a Comment