Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Please, mind your own business

Usually, I do not like to discuss 3 things- sex, politics, and religion.  They naturally invite discussion, and sometimes, alright, lots of times, it creates discord between the people discussing them.  I don't like that, and usually just ignore topics when they come up amongst friends/family. 
Sex and religion came up the other day, when a picture was posted on facebook, talking about Girl Scout cookies, and what Girl Scouts support- Planned Parenthood, Gays and Lesbians, etc.  This photo came up in discussion at Charlie's family's party this past weekend.  His older brother, Marty, hadn't seen the picture, as he's not on fb, but his younger brother, a$$hat, had seen it.  (I made sure to post it on my husband's page, but whatever.... ;) )  They ended up bashing the Girl Scouts, because of what they gave their money to, and said that they had to rethink all their children joining GS.  That's fine, and I said that, along with the fact that I couldn't support Boy Scouts, knowing how the BS supports homophobic ideals.  His mom about ripped me a new neck, because her sons were in Boy Scouts, and it was wonderful, etc.  **Random aside- Really MIL?  Your family isn't fucked up?  Your youngest son forced his first wife to get married, and after their divorce, drove to Missouri to meet a girl from Am I Hot or Not? and then married a girl who was a student where he was a teacher.  Just saying. **
This whole thing just reminds me why I don't discuss these things with people, including my husband.  They don't understand where I'm coming from, and I can't understand where they're coming from.  My uterus is my business, my beliefs are my business.  I do not feel that harping on your beliefs/values makes any one more likely to believe what you believe.  As a matter of fact, I think it makes it worse.  I'm less likely to value what you say when you're just repeating the same things over and over again.  I've often wondered what they would say if I told them what I *really* feel- Planned Parenthood is okay.  I've been there.  I didn't have insurance, but I needed to get a pregnancy test done.  Gays and Lesbians are awesome people (except for bitter queens, but they're fun too!).  I am pro-choice, but I would never have an abortion.  I can't take that choice away.  I'm not going to stand in judgement over your choices.  I'm also not going to judge if you decide to abort your rapists' or your dad's baby. 
I am a Catholic, but definitely don't believe everything they preach.  I believe that everyone has to find their own way to God, and sometimes it's not through organized religion.  Sometimes, organized religion is a crock o' crap.  And I'm fine with that.  If you know you're going to God, that's good enough for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment