Friday, June 28, 2013

There's nothing wrong with being prepared.

I've been doing more research lately about prepping, and disasters, and all that fun stuff.  I've pretty much come to the conclusion that there is a huge range of preppers, and I'm pretty much on the mild end.  I think we all are on the preparedness spectrum, to a certain extent.  Savings account?  Prepper.  Under your bed savings account?  Slightly more hardcore.  Buried in the back yard?  Even more. 

In Chicago, during the winter, the weather people tell the citizens to keep a few things in the trunks of their cars- a wool blanket, or really any blanket will do, a flashlight with working batteries, kitty litter, water, food, and a change of clothes or two.  Some even keep a gas can with 5 gallons of gas.  This is just in case a snow storm shuts down the interstates, or the person accidentally drives into a snowbank, and can't get out, or the rescue people cannot get to them right away.   I have one, but it's only because I grew up near the city, and worked there for several years.  My dad gave me my first one at 17- it's habit. 

I think as far as we'll go is self sufficiency.  We want to be able to eventually live off the grid at least part of the time, without sacrificing comfort.  At least, that's what I'm researching toward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment