Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Peace comes from being quiet, and listening.

I've been thinking about Peace a lot lately.  I went back home last week, and was talking to my mom about being quiet.  And being focused in the moment.  Enjoying the moment, because they grow up too fast.  Relaxing.  Praying.  Being present.  And I realized that I'm not good at that.  I ALWAYS have the television on- I'm not actually watching it, I'm not even LISTENING to it.  It's on so that I don't have to be alone with my thoughts.  Or the silence. 
And my thoughts aren't bad, or anything, I've just always had noise on, whether it be television or music, and I got really used to it.  And it seems that I can't get used to functioning without some sort of noise in the background.  I'm beginning to think I need to step back, and get used to the quiet again. 
I'm reading a book called Rediscover Catholicism by Matthew Kelly and he talks a lot about how we need to pray constantly.  Which boils down to saying, I'm doing (whatever) for (whatever).  Whenever you're doing it.  I already say a simple prayer when I see flashing lights, but he advocates going further.  He feels I should offer everything I do up for an intention.  Mom always said offer it up for the poor souls in purgatory when she told us to do something we didn't want to do. 
I need to listen to the silence.  I offer up things to God, and He will lead me where He needs me to go.  In the silence is where God speaks to us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment